© 2012. Reproduced with the permission of the author (Mr Andrew Craig), Telstra Corporation Limited and Sensis Pty Ltd.
Little Heroes Care
Little Heroes Care works closely with like-minded charities and medical institutions to fulfil the unmet needs of seriously ill children.
Our vision is to ensure that every seriously ill child and their family has access to the very best care regardless of the rarity of their diagnosis, financial circumstances or geographical location.
Little Heroes Care is now a truly national program, delivering more than $1 million in support services to seriously ill children and their families across Australia each year. These include:
- An in-home nurse program for children with Epidermolysis Bullosa (also known as 'butterfly children'). This specialised nursing care reduces the need for hospital stays and gives parents respite from the traumatic task of changing their child’s dressings daily
- Support for children and young people living with Muscular Dystrophy including physical and allied health therapies, respite and transport assistance, transition support and the provision of equipment to meet special needs
- The first Cystic Fibrosis Nebuliser Pilot Program in South Australia, which will provide children with access to the most technologically advanced nebulisers available, reducing the risk of hospitalisation and greatly improving quality of life
- A unique, early intervention program for children with Autism providing world-class, evidence-based behavioural interventions for children aged between two and six (the most crucial age for success in autism intervention)
- Practical assistance, therapies and equipment for children and families being cared for by the Paediatric Palliative Care Service at the Women’s and Children’s Hospital
- Support for children surviving cancer and their families including:
- Car parking, home cleaning, grocery hampers and fuel cards to assist families enduring lengthy hospital stays.
- The Little Heroes Care art therapy program, which gives children an emotional outlet and escape from being in hospital.
- Education and tuition support, physical rehabilitation programs and counselling throughout recovery and rehabilitation.
Click here for further information on our recent changes to the Little Heroes Care program.